To achieve the objectives, fulfillment of its statutory
role & International obligations. The functions of Mercantile
Marine Department are:-
Registration of Ships and Crafts as
per Merchant Shipping Ordinance.
Statutory surveys/inspections &
issuance of certificates to Merchant Ships, Fishing vessels
& Harbor crafts.
Issuance of NOC for port clearance
to all ships sailing out of Pakistani Ports.
Inspections pertaining to Port State
Control of Foreign ships conforming to International Standards
and detention of un Sea worthy ships.
Examination and approval of plans for
loading dangerous cargoes as per IMDG Code and
Compliance inspection thereof.
Circulation of navigational warnings
to Shipping Companies/Agents.
Examination and issuance of Certificate
of Competency to Inland Masters/Engineers, Drivers and
Serangs under IMPV Act and to technical personnel
as per Induction Rule issued by DG (P&S
Eye test for various categories &
issuance of prerequisite certificates for Certificate
of Competency of Deck & Engine department.
Supervision of new construction/major
repairs of ships, country crafts, barges, launches etc.
Installation and maintenance of Navigational
Aids on the coast of Pakistan (other than Port limits).
Following Eight Light Houses on the Coast of Pakistan
are operating under Mercantile Marine Department.
Jiwani, Gawadar, Pasni, Astola Island,
Ormara, Cape Monze, Turshian and Kajhar Creek.
Performance of Magisterial Work under
Merchant Shipping Ordinance, Coasting Vessels Act, IMPV
Act, Port Act, KPT Act and PQA Act (relevant portion only).
Preliminary Inquiries into shipping
casualties as per Merchant Shipping Ordinance.
Collection of applications, fee and
other relevant documents for submission to DG (P&S)
relevant sections i.e. applications for Certificate of
Competency Examinations (Nautical and Engineering), approval
of plans for new constructions, exemptions, approval of
SOPEP and Cargo manual and approval of workshop
and service stations etc.
To perform the above functions smoothly,
the department deals with the executive administration of
the following Ordinance, Statutory Rules and International
ORDINANCE & ACTS:
- Merchant Shipping Ordinance 2001.
- Inland Mechanically Propelled Vessels Act 1 of 1917.
- Ports Act (relevant portions).
- Light House Act.
STATUTORY CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT:
- Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974 as amended.
- Load Lines 1966.
- COLREG 1972.
- Safe Containers 1972.
- STCW 1978 as amended in 1995.
- INMARSAT operating agreement 1976.
- Search and Rescue 1979.
- Tonnage Measurement of Ships 1969.
- IMDG Code.
- ISM Code.
CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY CLASSIFICATION SOCIETIES ON BEHALF OF GOVERNMENT OF PAKISTAN:
- Certificate of Registry.
- Passenger Ship Safety Certificate.
- Cargo Ship Safety Certificate.
- Safety Radio Telegraphy Certificate.
- Safe Manning Certificate.
- Document of Compliance issued to the company under ISM Code.
- Safety Management Certificate issued to the ship under ISM Code.
- Exemption Certificate.
- Safety Construction Certificate.
- International Load Line Certificate.
- International Tonnage Certificate.
- International Oil Pollution Prevention Certificate.
- Document of Compliance and Safety Management Certificate under ISM Code for initial period of three months.
- Document of Compliance for Special Requirements for Ships
Carrying Dangerous Goods.